Here are some easy tips to decorate your NYC rental apartment or your new home in the Hudson Valley. After answering these questions for yourself, you might also see the benefits of the spacious Hudson Valley living and the highly dynamic, but sometimes spatially confined New York City lifestyle. Taking a few moments to think about your home will help you fully enjoy it.
8 Tips for Decorating Your NYC Apartment, or Hudson Valley Home – By Designer Maxwell Alexander, Editor-in-Chief, Hudson Valley Style Magazine
Think about your home, and answer these questions:
1. What do you want it to be? If you want your home to be a tranquil oasis in a busy world, are your colors soothing or do they shout? If you want a fun place for friends to gather, do you have plenty of seating?
2. What are your main hobbies and activities? What do you need for these activities? For instance, if you have a collection that you work on often, get storage containers for it that can be easily opened or put away. If it’s a lot of trouble to get at your collection, you either won’t spend the time on it, or else might be tempted to leave it out and risk losing or breaking certain pieces.
3. Who will be using the space? How many people will be living there? What ages? It’s important for every person to have a space that’s their own. Whether it’s a special chair, couch, desk or a section of a room, everyone needs ‘their space’. If you’re planning to do video aerobics, you’ll need room to move around in front of the TV!
4. What about your things? It’s easy to become very messy if things don’t have a place. A small filing cabinet is a must for many people – it’s a great place to store all the papers that you don’t know what to do with!
5. How much do you really need? Too much furniture makes a room seem crowded. The bare essentials are a couch and chair, a table and chairs for eating, a bed and place for your clothes. After that, think hard about what you need or don’t need. Will you really use that computer desk – or would you rather sit on the couch with a laptop?
6. Think about the traffic flow. You want to be able to walk anywhere in the room without bumping into furniture. Try drawing furniture placement on paper as a first step.
7. Pick a focal point – your Hudson Valley home has unique features. What do you want to see when your first walk in the living room? If you have nice windows with great lighting, are you emphasizing it? Everyone feels brighter in sunshine.
8. Think about order and organization. Do you bring home work every day, or mail, or sports equipment? Where will you put it? A large bowl or box near the front door is a great place to drop mail until you go through it later.
9. Take advantage of free expert advice. Every store and every product line employs professional designers to put furniture and accessories together. If you’re unsure of your decorating skills, pick a design you like. Study how they did it either by looking through a catalogue or going to a store. It’s all in the store assembled and displayed for you. If you like the look, simply do what they’ve done!
If you are looking for inspiring wall art ideas, wall art prints, wall art decor, and wall art canvas photo prints for your bedroom or living room you are in the right place! Simplida.com has the best original fine art photography printed in the USA on premium canvas in a variety of sizes. Enjoy the simple contemporary look of frameless canvas prints and a huge selection of fine art photography themes including Hudson Valley nature and landscapes, architecture, still life and sculpture, and much more!