If you love shopping at the local art gallery and wandering the rooms of your favorite museum, you probably wish there was a way to bring those artworks home. But what do you do if you are not a multimillionaire with money to burn? How can you realize your dreams of a home art gallery, and how do you get started.
Turning your bare walls into a stunning art gallery is not as daunting a process as you think, and you do not need a ton of money to make it happen. Here are 10 smart tips for incorporating works of art into your home décor.
- Choose work that sparks your imagination. Art should please the eyes, but even more it should spark the imagination. Look for art that gets a reaction and encourages you to think more deeply.
- Decorate your office with inspirational art. It is hard to stay inspired when you are stuck in the office all day, but the right art can make a big difference. Inspirational art in a home office can be a boon to your productivity as well as your home décor.
- Mix media and mediums. There is more than one kind of art, and not all of it goes on the wall. Adding accent pieces like small sculptures and textural pieces is a great way to balance out the paintings and photographs you have chosen.
- Hang wall art at eye level. Where you place your art matters, so measure carefully then stand back to enjoy the fruits of your labor. For most people, eye level will be from 57″ to 60″, but choose a level that is comfortable for you and your family.
- Create mini galleries. You can use the various wall spaces in your home to create miniature galleries, with different artists, favorite photographs and even framed mementoes and awards. With this strategy you can transform a long hallway into a family photo gallery, or transform your humble kitchen into a showcase for nature photography.
- Change things up. Gallery walls are always changing, with new artists, new installations and new styles of art. You can do the same thing in your home, changing up your personal art gallery with paintings you love, sculptures you enjoy and anything else that strikes your fancy.
- Add depth and textures with artistic mirrors. Anything can be a work of art, even the mirror you peer into every morning. Incorporate mirrors into your home décor, using them to accent other artworks and add interest to your walls.
- Do not fear the blank wall. There is a strong tendency to fill up every available space with artwork, but negative spaces have value too. So do not fear that blank wall space; use it to enhance and showcase the artwork that surrounds it.
- Build drama with floating shelves. Not all art is meant to go on the wall; from formal photographs to small framed pieces, floating shelves can hold your artwork in style. Floating frames add beauty and drama to your walls, and you can place them virtually anywhere you like.
- Choose art you like. Above all, choose art you love, with pieces that please and inspire you. This is your art gallery after all, so focus on the works you love the best.
Choosing artwork for your home does not have to be complicated. Whether you are decorating a single room or remodeling your entire house, there are smart ways to incorporate artworks into your home décor. The 10 steps listed above can get you started, and before you know it your home will be doubling as your personal art gallery.
If you are looking for inspiring wall art ideas, wall art prints, wall art decor, and wall art canvas photo prints for your bedroom or living room, Simplida.com has the best original fine art photography printed in the USA on premium canvas in a variety of sizes. Enjoy the simple contemporary look of frameless canvas prints and a huge selection of fine art photography themes including Hudson Valley nature and landscapes, architecture, still life and sculpture, and much more!