When you think about decorating your home, you probably picture colorful throw pillows, an array of rugs and perhaps a bed cover or two. All those elements play a huge role in home décor, but there is another element that is just as important.
How to Incorporate Therapeutic Artwork Into Your Home Décor
by Designer Maxwell Alexander, MA, BFA, Wellness Coach, Certified Fitness Trainer, Certified Sports Nutritionist, Certified Bodybuilding Coach
Artwork can transform your bare walls into things of beauty, and all you need to make it happen is sometimes. You can order everything you need online, from the canvas art prints themselves to photographic prints and hanging hardware. Here are seven tips to help you incorporate amazing artwork into your home and room décor.
1. Show off your style in the bathroom. The bathroom is arguably one of the most important rooms in your home, but it often gets little love. Turn that around by incorporating framed artwork into your bathroom décor.
2. Turn your family photographs into canvas wall art. If you want to incorporate artwork into your home décor, why not start with your own family photographs? Just go online, upload your favorite photos and turn them into works of art by ordering canvas prints.
3. Use modern flair in the living room. If you want a chance to show off your modern flair, the living room is the perfect place. A stylish print over the couch will draw the eye away from the TV and create a modernist focal point for the space.
4. Channel your inner sports fan with den décor. If you have a den or man cave, show off your team spirit with artwork and family photographs. From candid shots of your kid’s soccer game to posed shots with sports celebrities, there are many ways to incorporate themed art into your room décor.
5. Set a romantic mood in the bedroom. From singles to newlyweds to couples celebrating their golden anniversaries, the bedroom is a place for love and romance, so set the mood with the right artwork. You can start out with a beautifully framed wedding photo, then add artwork showing sunsets, beaches and other relaxing subjects.
6. Spice things up in the kitchen. If you want to spice things up with your artwork and your home décor, the kitchen is the perfect canvas. From framed family recipes and amazing photographs to kitschier forms of art, there are many ways to show off your personal taste and style.
7. Create a hallway timeline with family photos. Whether you keep your family photographs in shoeboxes or your smartphone, now is the time to print them off. Just grab some frames and hangers and build a photographic timeline in a hallway. From baby pictures to prom and graduation photos, you can relive those happy years every time you walk by.
8. Still Life Art Therapy Prints can give your home décor meaningful function of bringing more calm and serenity into every space of your home.
Wall decor is a dominant factor in setting the mood and tone of a space. The aesthetics of my new still-life photography collection are meant to bring elements of peaceful harmony with the solid yet comforting and infinite rounded edges, shapes, and surfaces. This effect is embodied perfectly in my original piece, “The Other Side,” which offers a powerful introduction to the still life print series. There are so many others to explore depending on what kind of emotions you’re looking to evoke in your space. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
As artists, hobbyists, and gallery-goers alike, art has a therapeutic nature that takes us on a journey of self-discovery. This is true whether we are studying an exhibit at MoMA or glancing at wall art on canvas in between sales calls. Art therapy has gained a lot of traction in the psychological community for its ability to improve cognitive/sensorimotor function, increase self-awareness, and promote emotional resilience. At the same time, watching the soap canvas your windshield in a drive-thru car wash, we believe therapy—art therapy more specifically—is all around us, sometimes we just have to look.
Through the literal interpretation of those two words, art therapy does not have to be an exclusively proactive experience. Art’s therapeutic nature comes solely from the process of eliciting unfiltered responses from the person who is engaged with it. How much further we want to take it is up to us. The fundamental pillars that make art therapy effective are present in everybody’s work, regardless of an audience’s level of engagement. That is why hanging wall decor in your home or office can induce feelings of meditation and relaxation, even from the peripheral.
The prints in my still life sculpture photography collection highlight the explicit detail of the hand-carved from the plaster of Paris. They capture the glowing reflections of the acrylic paint and gold leaf finish in a way that brings radiance and warmth to the spaces they occupy. Every selection has a unique and vibrant character of its own. And the powerful colorways amplify the emotional impact these sculptures make in a broad spectrum of angles and light scenarios.
My collection of still life fine art photo prints is the perfect addition to any bedroom, family room, or office. Enjoy the calming aura of these one-of-a-kind sculptures as they bring your wall decor ideas to life.
Decorating your home is a great chance to showcase your taste and show off your style, and you can do it all with photographs and artwork. And best of all, you never have to leave your home to find all that amazing home décor. All you need is an internet connection and some time, so head online and start giving your rooms some love.